1 a focus of public attention; "he enjoyed being in the limelight"; "when Congress investigates it brings the full glare of publicity to the agency" [syn: limelight, glare, public eye]
2 a lamp that produces a strong beam of light to illuminate a restricted area; used to focus attention of a stage performer [syn: spot]
1 move into the foreground to make more visible or prominent; "The introduction highlighted the speaker's distinguished career in linguistics" [syn: foreground, highlight, play up] [ant: background, background]
2 illuminate with a spotlight, as in the theater [also: spotlit]
a bright lamp, especially one used to illuminate the center of attention on a stage
- Hungarian: reflektor
the circle of light shed by a spotlight
- Hungarian: reflektorfény
the center of attention; the highlight or most important part
- To illuminate
with a spotlight.
- We spotlight the star, but the supporting cast has all the great lines in this scene.
- To draw attention to.
- The news series served to spotlight corruption.
Spotlight can refer to at least three types of lighting:
- a searchlight;
- stage lighting used in theatre to focus an audience's attention on a performer or event, known as a Followspot;
- a type of stage lighting instrument designed to put light in a small area versus a floodlight which would fill a large area with light.
- spotlight (computer graphics), a directed point light.
In the media, 'Spotlight can refer to:
- Spotlight (cable TV), a defunct premium movie channel;
- Comcast Spotlight, an advertising division of Comcast;
- Spotlight (Eat Cinema), a weekly half hour programme showcasing a movie and/or personality on Eat Cinema;
- Spotlight, a BBC news programme in South West England;
- The Spotlight, a weekly American newspaper, now out of print;
- The Spotlight, a UK directory of actors and actresses;
- "Spotlight" (song), a 1988 single by singer Madonna;
- "Spotlight" (Jennifer Hudson song), a 2008 single by singer Jennifer Hudson;
- a current affairs programme in Northern Ireland;
- a Canadian music program on television.
Spotlight is also a trademark for
- Spotlight (software), search technology integrated into the Mac OS X operating system
- Spotlight®, the real-time diagnostics tool from Quest Software
- Spotlight (store), the name of a fabric, craft and home interiors retail chain in Australia, New Zealand and Singapore.
- Spotlight (flashlight), a rechargeable LED flashlight manufactured by Weiguo Solutions
spotlight in German: Spotlight
spotlight in Japanese: スポットライト
spotlight in Swedish: Spotlight
PR, accent, accentuate, affect, arc, arc light, ballyhoo, beacon, belabor, betoken, blurb, brandish, breathe, bright light, brighten, brighten up, bring forth, bring forward, bring into view, bring out, bring to notice, celebrity, color filter, common knowledge, cry, currency, dangle, daylight, demonstrate, develop, dimmer, disclose, display, divulge, dramatize, dwell on, eclat, embody, emphasize, enact, enlighten, evidence, evince, exhibit, expose to view, exposure, express, fame, famousness, feature, flaunt, floats, flood, flood with light, floodlight, flourish, focus of attention, footlights, foots, gelatin, give emphasis to, give sign, give token, glare, harp on, highlight, hoopla, hue and cry, illume, illuminate, illumine, incarnate, indicate, irradiate, italicize, klieg light, light, light plot, light up, lighten, lights, limelight, luminate, make clear, make plain, manifest, marquee, materialize, maximum dissemination, mean, medium, notoriety, overaccentuate, overemphasize, overshine, overstress, parade, perform, place emphasis on, plug, point up, present, press notice, produce, public eye, public knowledge, public relations, public report, publicity, publicity story, publicness, puff, punctuate, reclame, relume, relumine, report, represent, reveal, roll out, rub in, searchlight, set forth, shed light upon, shine upon, show, show forth, spot, star, stress, throw light upon, token, trot out, underline, underscore, unfold, wave, write-up